The Bachelorette is a spin-off from the American competitive reality dating game show The Bachelor. In its January 2003 debut on ABC, the first season featured Trista Rehn, the runner-up date from the first season of The Bachelor, offering the opportunity for Rehn to choose a husband among 25 bachelors. The 2004 season of The Bachelorette again took a runner-up from the previous season of The Bachelor. After last airing on February 28, 2005, the series returned to ABC during the spring of 2008, following an absence of three years.
- Main article: The Bachelor (U.S. TV series)#Plot
All of the rules are adopted from its parent show, The Bachelor. The series revolves around a single bachelorette (deemed eligible) and a pool of romantic interests (typically 25; 30 in season 5), which could include a potential husband for the bachelorette. The format is the same as the parent show. Unlike The Bachelor, one of two male suitors proposes to the bachelorette for the final selection. The Bachelor does not, however, always propose at the end of the show. At the end of Juan Pablo's season, he decided to "choose" a girl to keep spending time with, but evidentially was not ready for a proposal. A proposal at the end of the show is not always guaranteed. It is up to the bachelor/bachelorette to decide that.
Season 11 was the first season to feature a twist in casting. Since producers could not decide between The Bachelor Season 19 contenders Kaitlyn Bristowe and Britt Nilsson, the 25 men participating had to decide which bachelorette would make the best wife. In the end, more men voted for Kaitlyn and Britt was sent home on the first night.
Unlike The Bachelor, all eleven seasons of The Bachelorette have ended with a proposal whether or not the Bachelorette decided to accept or decline. Trista Rehn's marriage to Ryan Sutter, Ashley Hebert's marriage to JP Rosenbaum, and Desiree Hartsock's marriage to Chris Siegfried have been the only marriages to result. The weddings of the former two were broadcast on ABC.
Questions of authenticityEdit
The Bachelorette Season 4 winner, Jesse Csincsak, commented that contestants must follow producers' orders and that a storyline was fabricated in the editing room.
On March 15, 2010, The Bachelorette creator Mike Fleiss appeared on 20/20 to confess that he developed the show's contestants into characters that catered to his audience's tastes, and that they "need [their] fair share of villains every season." Fleiss has come under fire for admitting that The Bachelor has less to do with reality than it does making good television.
By Season 7 of The Bachelorette, some believe that actors were being hired by ABC to play specific roles on the show. Some viewers were becoming tired of the show's scripted nature and speaking out. By Season 8 there were numerous complaints when the entire cast of The Bachelorette overtly acted out the show's written script with the cast of The Muppets.
Much like the parent show, the first two seasons were filmed in a luxurious house in Los Angeles County, and "Villa De La Vina," in Agoura Hills for later seasons. Since the fifth season, the third and remaining episodes filmed around the world. Episodes have been filmed throughout the United States, Canada, Spain, Iceland, Turkey, Portugal, Thailand, China, Bermuda, England, Croatia, Czech Republic, Germany, France, Italy, Belgium and Ireland. The California estate was not used during some seasons including season 3 that was filmed in New York City; Charlotte for season 8, where Emily Maynard lived so that she could stay with her daughter Ricki during production. In addition to Villa De La Vina mansion, the contestants in season 4 lived in a bunkhouse close to the mansion.
|Season||Original run||Bachelorette||Occupation||Winner||Runner-up||Proposal||Relationship status|
|1||January 8–February 19, 2003||Trista Rehn||Physical therapist||Ryan Sutter||Charlie Maher||Yes||Rehn and Sutter were married on December 6, 2003 on national television. As of 2017, they are still together and have two children.|
|2||January 14–February 26, 2004||Meredith Phillips||Makeup artist||Ian Mckee||Matthew Hickl||Yes||Phillips and McKee were engaged at the end of the show, but ended their relationship in February 2005.|
|3||January 10–March 21, 2005||Jennifer "Jen" Schefft||Publicist||Jerry Ferris||John Paul Merritt||Yes||Schefft originally rejected both Ferris and Merritt in the finale. During the first live final rose ceremony, Schefft chose Ferris, an art gallery director, over Meritt. Ferris proposed to Schefft, but she rejected his proposal, stating that the chemistry was not there. Schefft ultimately married Chicago public relations executive Joe Waterman in May 2009; they have two children, Mae Elizabeth and Charlotte Grace.|
|4||May 19–July 7, 2008||DeAnna Pappas||Real estate agent||Jesse Csincsak||Jason Mesnick||Yes||Pappas chose Csincsak and their wedding was set for May 9, 2009, but they broke up in November 2008. Pappas eventually made a surprise return in season 13 of The Bachelor. Csincsak is now married to The Bachelor season 13 contestant Ann Lueders. Pappas ultimately married high school teacher Stephen Stagliano in October 2011, whose brother, Michael, would become a contestant on the fifth season of The Bachelorette. The couple have a daughter, Addison Marie, and are expecting their second child, a boy, in February 2016.|
|5||May 18–July 28, 2009||Jillian Harris||Interior designer||Ed Swiderski||Kiptyn Locke||Yes||Harris, the first Canadian bachelorette and chose Ed Swiderski in the finale, but in July 2010, it was announced that Harris and Swiderski had broken up. Swiderski is now married to news reporter Natalie Bomke.|
|6||May 24–August 2, 2010||Ali Fedotowsky||Advertising account manager||Roberto Martinez||Chris Lambton||Yes||Fedotowsky and Martinez got engaged in the season finale, but the couple broke up in November 2011. However, the couple remained friends. Fedotowsky is now engaged to Kevin Manno and expecting their first child together.|
|7||May 23–August 1, 2011||Ashley Hebert||Dental student||J.P. Rosenbaum||Ben Flajnik||Yes||Hebert and Rosenbaum married on December 1, 2012, and their wedding aired as a TV special on December 16 of that year. The couple have a son named Fordham Rhys born on September 30, 2014.|
|8||May 14–July 23, 2012||Emily Maynard||Children's hospital event planner||Jef Holm||Arie Luyendyk Jr.||Yes||Maynard and Holm ended their relationship in October 2012. In June 2014, Maynard married Tyler Johnson, whom she met at church. The couple have a son, Jennings Tyler, born in July 2015.|
|9||May 27–August 5, 2013||Desiree Hartsock||Bridal stylist||Chris Siegfried||Drew Kenney||Yes||Hartsock and Siegfried were married on January 18, 2015 and currently live in Seattle, Washington.|
|10||May 19–July 28, 2014||Andi Dorfman||Assistant District Attorney||Josh Murray||Nick Viall||Yes||Murray proposed to Dorfman in the season finale. However, the two announced their breakup in January 2015.|
|11||May 18–July 27, 2015||Kaitlyn Bristowe||Dance Instructor||Shawn Booth||Yes||Bristowe and her fellow The Bachelor season 19 contestant Britt Nilsson selected as candidates. In the second episode, it was revealed that Bristowe was chosen based on the men's decisions. Runner-up Nick Viall previously appeared on Season 10 of the Bachelorette, where he was also the runner-up. Bristowe picked Shawn Booth, and the two are currently engaged.|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors)|
- ↑ ABC Confirms Bachelorette Return this Summer with Fourth Season. Reality TV World.
- ↑ http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2015/03/09/two-bachelorettes-for-season-11/
- ↑ Turning the Tables Jenn Schefft, Andrew's Ex, Gives Love Another Try as TV's Newest Bachelorette. People (August 23, 2004). Retrieved on March 15, 2012.
- ↑ "'Bachelorette' will tape in Charlotte", The Charlotte Observer, January 19, 2012. Retrieved on January 25, 2012.
- ↑ 'The Bachelorette' filming in North Carolina?. ksdk.com (2012-03-13). Retrieved on 2013-08-03.
- ↑ Over 30 million viewers tuned in to 'The Bachelorette' series finale. Reality TV World (February 20, 2003). Retrieved on March 3, 2010.
- ↑ 'The Bachelorette' couple Trista and Ryan Sutter welcome first child. Reality TV World (July 28, 2007). Retrieved on March 3, 2010.
- ↑ Apr 3, 09 at 6:20 pm (October 14, 2008). Ryan and Trista Sutter Welcome Blakesley Grace – Celebrity Baby Blog – People.com. Celebrity-babies.com. Retrieved on March 3, 2010.
- ↑ 'Bachelorette' Meredith Phillips chooses vagabond Ian McKee in ABC series finale. Reality TV World (February 26, 2004). Retrieved on March 3, 2010.
- ↑ 'Bachelorette' couple Meredith Phillips and Ian McKee announce breakup. Reality TV World. Retrieved on March 3, 2010.
- ↑ Last names per "Ex-'Bachelor' Andrew Firestone dishes on Jen Schefft, July wedding" by Christopher Rocchio, June 16, 2008
- ↑ ABC's 'Bachelorette 3' ends with Jen Schefft rejecting both John Paul Merritt and selected suitor Jerry Ferris. Reality TV World. Retrieved on March 3, 2010.
- ↑ Jen Schefft Pregnant – Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart Baby Talk. National Ledger (May 15, 2010). Retrieved on May 19, 2010.
- ↑ Jen Schefft Welcomes Daughter Mae Elizabeth. People (November 15, 2010). Retrieved on November 15, 2010.
- ↑ Jen Schefft Welcomes Daughter Charlotte Grace. People (August 9, 2012). Retrieved on August 9, 2012.
- ↑ Bachelorette‘s DeAnna Pappas Splits with Jesse Csincsak. People (November 3, 2008). Retrieved on February 15, 2014.
- ↑ Wang, Cynthia (August 29, 2010). Jesse Csincsak and Ann Lueders Wed in Las Vegas. People. Retrieved on January 23, 2011.
- ↑ Byrne, Alla (October 22, 2011). DeAnna Pappas Weds Stephen Stagliano. People.
- ↑ Webber, Stephanie (February 7, 2014). DeAnna Pappas, Former Bachelorette, Welcomes Baby Girl With Husband Stephen Stagliano. Us Weekly. Retrieved on February 16, 2014.
- ↑ http://celebritybabies.people.com/2014/03/03/bachelorette-deanna-pappas-stagliano-welcomes-daughter-addison-marie/
- ↑ http://celebritybabies.people.com/2015/08/24/deanna-pappas-pregnant-expecting-second-child-stephen-stagliano/
- ↑ Bachelorette Jillian Harris & Ed Swiderski SPLIT: Breakup For Reality Couple. Huffington Post (July 7, 2010). Retrieved on December 23, 2013.
- ↑ Bachelorette Alum Ed Swiderski Getting Married to Natalie Bomke Today. Us Weekly (July 25, 2015). Retrieved on August 2, 2015.
- ↑ Monica Rizzo. "Ali Fedotowsky and Roberto Martinez split", November 21, 2011. Retrieved on November 21, 2011.
- ↑ Catriona Wightman (December 10, 2012). 'Bachelorette' Ali Fedotowsky, Roberto Martinez "just good friends". Retrieved on December 17, 2012.
- ↑ Marquina, Sierra (January 6, 2016). Ali Fedotowsky Is Pregnant, Expecting First Baby With Fiance Kevin Manno. Us Weekly. Retrieved on January 8, 2016.
- ↑ 'Bachelorette' star Ashley Hebert weds J.P. Rosenbaum. Entertainment Weekly (December 1, 2012). Retrieved on December 2, 2012.
- ↑ "Bachelorette" Ashley Hebert to air wedding on ABC. Cbsnews.com (2012-10-15). Retrieved on 2013-08-03.
- ↑ Beard, Lanford (2012-11-09). 'Bachelorette' Ashley Hebert's wedding will be televised. Insidetv.ew.com. Retrieved on 2013-08-03.
- ↑ Bachelorette Star Ashley Hebert Gives Birth to a Baby Boy! Find Out His Name. E! (September 30, 2014). Retrieved on August 2, 2015.
- ↑ Aaron Parsley and Monica Rizzo (January 19, 2012). Emily Maynard Is the Next Bachelorette. Retrieved on January 19, 2012.
- ↑ Rizzo, Monica (October 16, 2012). Bachelorette's Emily Maynard and Jef Holm End Engagement. People. Retrieved on October 17, 2012.
- ↑ Emily Maynard: 2014 Is Already the 'Best Year Ever!'. People (January 8, 2014). Retrieved on January 27, 2014.
- ↑ Emily Maynard Marries Tyler Johnson. People (June 7, 2014). Retrieved on June 10, 2014.
- ↑ It'll Be a Boy for Emily Maynard. People (May 12, 2015). Retrieved on May 19, 2015.
- ↑ Emily Maynard Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby Boy With Husband Tyler Johnson. Us Weekly (July 16, 2015). Retrieved on July 18, 2015.
- ↑ Jenna Mullins (February 27, 2013). The Bachelorette: ABC Sets Premiere Date for New Season. Retrieved on March 11, 2013.
- ↑ Oldenburg, Ann (March 11, 2013). New 'Bachelorette,' 'Bachelor' TV wedding announced. USA Today. Retrieved on March 15, 2013.
- ↑ Emily Strohm (January 19, 2015). Desiree Hartsock Marries Chris Siegfried. Retrieved on January 19, 2015.
- ↑ Maresca, Rachel (March 11, 2014). Andi Dorfman named the next star of 'The Bachelorette'. New York Daily News. Retrieved on March 12, 2014.
- ↑ Bricker, Tierney (February 25, 2014). The Bachelor's Andi Dorfman Is the Frontrunner to Be the Next Bachelorette. E!. Retrieved on February 28, 2014.
- ↑ Steiner, Amanda (January 8, 2015). The Bachelorette's Andi Dorfman and Josh Murray Split. People. Retrieved on January 8, 2015.
- ↑ Oldenburg, Ann (March 9, 2015). Surprise! New twist announced for next 'Bachelorette' season. USA Today. Retrieved on March 10, 2015.
- ↑ Vantemere, Elizabeth (March 10, 2015). ‘The Bachelorette’ twist: Both Britt Nilsson, Kaitlyn Bristowe to find love on ABC show.. New York Daily News. Retrieved on March 10, 2015.
|ABC programming (current and upcoming)|