The daughter of Valerie, a professor and educational consultant, and Earl Washington, a real estate broker.
Kerry graduated from the Spence School, in New York City in 1994. She later graduated Phi Beta Kappa from George Washington University in 1998 with a double major in Anthropology & Sociology. She also studied acting in New York City at Michael Howard Studios.
She is at times referred to as a political activist and was a supporter of Barack Obama's presidential candidacy. Washington has also spent time volunteering through the Adopt-a-Classroom program in New York as well as with Co-Op America, now known as Green America. Washington also spoke at the 2012 Democratic National Convention.
Kerry is know for her roles as Ray Charles's wife, Della Bea Robinson, in the film Ray (2004), as Idi Amin's wife Kay in The Last King of Scotland, and as Alicia Masters in the live action Fantastic Four films: Fantastic Four (2005) & Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. She starred opposite Jamie Foxx in the hit movie Django Unchained, which premiered in theaters on December 25, 2012. And in May 10, 2013 her latest movie was released, Peeples, with co-stars David Alan Grier and Craig Robinson.
- She is 5' 4.5" (1.64m) tall.
- Attended Spence School with Gwyneth Paltrow, Emmy Rossum and Sally Pressman.
- Kerry was engaged to actor David Moscow from October 2004 to March 2007.
- She has Native American ancestry.
- Is an only child; her mother is of Jamaican descent.
- As a sort of souvenir or memento, Kerry usually tries to keep something from every character that she plays, such as an item of wardrobe or a piece of furniture from the house the character lived in.
- Contrary to her character Olivia Pope who is apolitical, Kerry is a Democrat.
- Married San Francisco 49ers cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha on June 24,2013.
- Follow Kerry Washington on Twitter @kerrywashington
- Follow Kerry Washington on Instagram @kerrywashington